How Many Treats per Day for a Cat? Cat Treat Calculator
Welcome to the cat treat calculator to help you estimate how many treats to give your cat each day. You have two options to calculate the number of treats you can give, either based on the amount of food your cat is fed or based on your cat's body weight.
When feeding treats to your cat, it's important to remember two key points.
For example, if you opt for 10% of your cat's daily required calories to come from treats, the other 90% of their calories will come from their main food, and you will have to feed 10% less of their main diet.
If you opt for 5% of your cat's daily required calories to come from treats, the other 95% of their calories will come from their main food, and you will have to feed 5% less of their main diet.
The number of cat treats per day you can give typically varies between 5-20 depending on the size of your cat, how active they are, the percentage of daily calories allocated to treats, and the number of calories per treat.
Cat Treat Calculator: Based on Amount of Food Fed
Based on how much you typically feed your cat, the calculator will estimate how many treats you can give your cat and the reduced amount of main diet to feed per day once the calories from the treats have been taken into consideration.
Cat Treat Calculator: Based on Body Weight
Based on the calories required for your cat's body weight, the calculator will estimate how many treats your cat is allowed and the reduced amount of their main diet to feed per day once the calories from the treats have been taken into consideration.
FAQs: How to Use the Cat Treat Calculators
FAQs: Cat Treats
Can You Feed a Cat Too Many Treats?
We love giving our cats treats but feeding a cat too many can lead to various health issues, such as obesity, digestive problems, and nutritional imbalances.
It's important to give treats in moderation and adjust the amount of your cat's main food accordingly. When you give your cat treats, you must feed less of their main diet so they don't receive too many calories. However, treats shouldn't' comprise more than 10% of your cat's daily calorie intake, as unlike commercial cat foods, treats do not contain all the nutrients your cat needs. Too many treats can cause their diet to become unbalanced and lead to nutritional deficiencies.
Use one of our treat calculators above to help estimate how many treats your cat can have per day and how much to reduce their main diet, or check with your vet.
Can I Give My Cat Treats Every Day?
It's generally fine to give your cat treats every day, as long as you do so in moderation to avoid weight gain and nutritional imbalances.
However, rather than simply giving your cat treats, there are several ways to make treat time more engaging and to use treats to provide enrichment for your cat. For example, treats can be placed into puzzle feeders, hidden around a room, used to encourage and reward desirable behaviors, or you can teach your cat tricks using clicker training.
Can Too Many Treats Cause Diarrhea and Vomiting?
Treats can cause mild vomiting and/or diarrhea, especially if your cat was given too many at once, they weren't introduced to their diet gradually, or they contain an ingredient that your cat is sensitive to and aggravates their digestive system. If you suspect some new treats have caused your cat digestive issues, it's best to discontinue them.
However, there are many causes of vomiting and diarrhea in cats, so always consult your vet for advice, especially if they vomit more than once, the diarrhea is profuse or lasts more than 24 hours, there is blood in the vomit or stools, they are lethargic, or not eating.
Which Treats Are the Healthiest and Best Choice for Cats?
Our favorite healthy and tasty cat treats include:
- Dental treats, which tend to be low in calories and can help reduce gingivitis.
- Freeze-dried snacks, which contain a single, clean ingredient.
- Churu Lickable Treats for Skin and Coat, which are high in moisture and contain omega oils, taurine, and vitamin E.
- Some cats also enjoy pieces of carrot and courgette.
What Can I Give My Cat Instead of Treats to Avoid Excess Calories?
Instead of giving your cat treats, you can save 5g of their daily food allowance to use as treats in between meals.
However, food isn't the only way to reward your cat. Alternative ways to reduce their treat intake while still bonding and creating a positive experience for your cat include:
- Playtime, especially with fishing rod or wand toys that bring out their inner hunter.
- Affection and cuddles, such as chin, cheek, neck, and back, strokes and scratches.
- Grooming sessions, especially with our favorite Zoom Groom that provides a gentle massage while removing loose hair.
- Catnip, which can induce a temporary state of euphoria or excitement, however, some cats may become aggressive, and others will have no reaction.
- Taking them on a walk with a leash and harness.